How long does it take to switch to Nexogy, and can I keep my old number?
Yes, you can keep your existing phone numbers. We can port your telephone numbers from any original provider (even mobile phone numbers) into your system, and they are yours to keep.
Can I connect to my soft phone with a wireless internet connection?
Yes, you can use your soft phone with a wireless connection. However, this introduces several factors that could affect the quality of the connection, most notably: internet connection speeds and packet loss over Wi-Fi network even if you have a high-speed broadband connection.
What can I do to fix poor audio quality?
Poor or scratchy audio is most often due to a network connection problem, resulting in poor network performance. Possible causes and solutions are below.
- If you're using a wireless internet connection, you may be too far away from your access point. If this is the case, simply move closer.
- Radio frequency (RF) interference from nearby channel or devices can cause sound quality problems. To prevent this, configure your access points so that they are separated by at least five channels.
- There may be packet loss on the IP network. Check the network performance, latency and throughput. Two-hundred millisecond round-trip latency as determined from a ping should deliver good quality audio.
- Network cards or access points may have performance problems. Make sure you are using the latest network technology.
Why does my soft phone echo?
An echo can be caused by several factors, most of which are related to the hardware you are using to hear or speak. Below are some common causes to help with troubleshooting.
- Boom headsets that sit on the ear can create feedback between the boom microphone and the headset.
- You may be too close to the person you’re speaking to. If this is the case, your microphone may pick up the person’s voice in the same room or down the hall.
- The microphone balance is not muted in the playback section of audio controls.
- The microphone level may be too high or the amplifier is turned on in the generic audio controls.
To stop the echo, try using a headset with your sound card or a USB-enabled headset.
Can I use my Nexogy service at home or out of my office?
Yes, you can use your Nexogy IP phone and soft phone from your home or your office—as long as you have access to a reliable, high-speed broadband connection.
What are the requirements to connect my IP phone at home?
The minimum bandwidth of a high-speed Internet connection is approximately 256 Kbps (kilobits per second). In most cases, the normal VoIP telephone call will use up to 100 Kbps. A fax sent over VoIP will require about the same amount.
Keep in mind that while voice calls are somewhat tolerant of reduced bandwidth, sending and receiving faxes are not. Fax protocols do not allow for missing or heavily delayed packets, so a fax transmission may not complete if sufficient bandwidth is not available.
Can I use my existing IP phones with Nexogy’s services?
We can integrate any phones that use the skinny call protocol as well as SIP phones into our network. Examples of IP phones include:
- Cisco IP Phone 794X G
- Cisco IP Phone 796X G
- Grandstream 1400 / 1405